Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chris' Top 5

Disclaimer: This isn't a list of my top 5 favorite movies, but 5 movies that have affected me in a a large way.

Tron, 1982
As an addicted gamer, 3D animator and all around technology nut this movie attacks me from so many different levels. I know the story is slow, the graphics are out dated and over all the movie feels old to most viewers. To me it represents something more, a huge stepping stone in the history of 3D animation. The story is so different from what most live action movies, even today, will attempt to do. And all the characters are lovable in their own way. It may not be a movie for all, but it's the perfect movie for me.

Hitch, 2005
I don't show it much, but I really do love romance movies. Sadly, most just don't excite me to the level of wanting to see the movie more than once. This isn't the case with Hitch. I don't know if it's the always-amazing acting of Will Smith or the well-crafted script but something about this movie makes it a great rainy day film. I catch myself watching it almost every time it comes on TV and I occasionally refer to it when talking to people. I've never been able to pin point what the charm of this movie is, but in the end the overall package just entertains.

Kung Pow, Enter the Fist, 2002
This movie earned this slot by causing a spark of instant friendships with more people then I can count. On more than one occasion I found myself meeting new people and the second this movie sneaks its way into a conversation we're quoting the whole movie and comparing our favorite parts. It's a film that not many have seen, but those who have and love it gravitate to each other. From a film stand point it actually does amazing work by cutting the director and actor Steve Oedekerk into each shot so perfectly you almost don't question it, but you do question it, and that's part of the joke.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 2010
A visual masterpiece, astounding script and amazingly directed film, but none of these are the reason it's on this list. Scott Pilgrim blasted its way onto my list by being one of the most accurate comic book movies to date. I know Hollywood has run low on ideas and has been using other sources like comic books to make its money, but is it too much trouble to ask that you do it accurately? Many of the comic-book-to-movie adaptations out there make me wonder if the director and writers read more than the Wikipedia entry on the subject before working on the film. As a huge fan of the Scott Pilgrim comics I was waiting for a thousand reasons to hate this movie, but they captured the first two books almost word for word and kept the essences of the comics for the remainder. What makes it even more astounding is that Brian Lee O'Malley hadn't even finished the all the books when the movie started production. Edgar Wright had to work from early scripts and long conversations with O'Malley to create his adaptation.

Hook, 1991
To this day my mom still asks me, "Do you remember that time we went to Disneyland and watched Hook over and over?" To which I respond that I don't, but it sounds like something I'd do. I still occasionally make a victory bird call and I fear that the first time I meet someone named Rufio and begin to chant his name. This action packed thrill ride is fun for the whole family and will touch viewers of all ages. Did I mention Robin Williams is in it? ‘Cause let's face it, he can make any movie better just by being around.

No comments:

Post a Comment